Ever wonder what to do with those extra few inches of chain that are not really long enough to use as a necklace or bracelet? Why not make tassels?! They’re everywhere…necklaces, earrings, purses, clothes, bags, shoes…you get the picture. So let me show you how to make a basic pair of tassel earrings.
- Round nose pliers (to create wrapped loops)
- Wire or side cutter (for cutting chain and eyepins)
- Chain or flat nose pliers (to wrap loops and open/close eyepins and hooks)
- 24″ small chain – I used 2 x 1mm cable link chain pieces in 4 different finishes (ChGM001, ChAS001, ChMB001, ChS001)
- 2 – 1 1/2″ eyepins – I used 1 1/2″, 24ga silver eyepins (EP24S)
- 2 large bead caps or cones – I used lucite tulip bead caps 9mm in length with a 7mm inner diameter
- 2 small bead caps – I used 2 x 4mm bead caps (MscAS913)
- 2 size 11/0 seed beads
- 2 earring hooks of your choice – I used silver earwires (ERS)
Step 1: Cut 16 pieces of 1 1/2″ chain, 8 pieces for each earring. You can use all the same color or mix it up to make it more interesting.
♥ TIP: An easy way to cut several equal lengths of chain is to measure out your first piece, then hang it on a headpin or eyepin. Hang another piece of chain on the headpin, hold it up, and cut that chain to the same length. Do that for all the pieces to avoid having to measure out every single piece.
You can also cut varying lengths or use different types of small chain, as long as the links will fit on the eyepin.
Step 2: Hang 8 pieces of chain on the loop of each eyepin. If you use different finishes, try to add them on the loop in the same order.
Step 3: Pull the eyepin up through the bead cap or cone you are using. Add a small bead cap and a seed bead on top of that. Create a wrapped loop and cut off the excess wire from the eyepin. (Since there are already a lot of great tutorials on how to create a wrapped loop, please Google “wrapped loop tutorial” if you are not familiar with this skill).
Step 4: Hang the loops on the hooks and you’re good to go!
The tassels work great for necklaces, too!